11.M: I’m asked to pick up the guest speaker Bob Russel at the airport this afternoon, do you know what he looks like? W: Well, he’s in his sixties, he stands out, he’s bald, tall and thin and has a beard.
Q: What do we conclude from the woman’s remarks about Bob Russel? A)He is quite easy to recognize B)he is an outstanding speaker C)he looks like a movie star D)he looks young for his age
12. W: I’m considering dropping my dancing class. I’m not making any progress M: If I were you, I’d stick with it. It's definitely worth time and effort.
Q: What does the man suggest the woman do? A)consult her dancing teacher B)take a more interesting class C)continue her dancing class D)improve her dancing skills
13. W: You see I still have this pain in my back, this medicine the doctor gave me was supposed to make me feel better by now. M: Maybe you should’ve taken it three times a day as you were told.
Q: What do we learn from the conversation? A)the man did not believe what the woman said B)the man accompanied the woman to the hospital C)the woman may be suffering from repetitive strain injury D)the woman may not followed the doctor’s instructions
14. M: Frankly, when I sat at the back of the classroom, I can’t see the words on the board clearly. W: Well, you’ve been wearing those same glasses as long as I’ve known you. Why not get a new pair, it won’t cost you too much.
Q: What does the woman imply about the man’s glasses? A)they are not in style any more B)they have cost him far too much C)they no longer suit his eyesight D)they should be cleaned regularly
15. W: How come the floor is so wet? I almost slipped, what happened? M: Oh, sorry! The phone rang the moment I got into the shower, anyway, I’ll wipe it up right now.
Q: Why was the floor wet according to the man? A)he spilled his drink onto the floor B)he has just finished wiping the floor C)he was caught in a shower on his way home D)he rushed out of the bath to answer the phone
16. M: The instructions on the package say that you need to some assembly yourself. I’ve spent all in vain to put this bookcase together, W: I know what you mean, last time I tried to assemble a toy train for my son and I almost gave up.
Q: What does the man find difficult? A)fixing some furniture B)repairing the toy train C)reading the instructions D)assembling the bookcase
17. M: I’m getting worried about Jenny’s school work. All she talks about these days is volleyball games and all she does is practice, training and things like that. W: Her grades on the coming exams will fall for sure. It’s high time we talk(ed) some sense to her.
Q: What are the speakers probably going to do? A)urge Jenny to spend more time on study B)help Jenny to prepare for the coming exams C)act towards Jenny in a more sensible way D)send Jenny to a volleyball training center
18. W: Do you understand why the local people are opposed to the new dam up the river? M: They are worried about danger if the dam should break. The river is very wide above the proposed site.
Q: What do we learn from the conversation? A)The building of the dam needs a large budget B)the proposed site is near the residential area C)the local people fel insecure about the dam D)the dam poses a threat to the local environment