Part Ⅰ Listening Comprehension ( 20 minutes ) Section A 1. A) She met with Thomas just a few days ago. B) She can help with orientation program. C) She is not sure she can pass on the message. D) She will certainly try to contact Thomas.
2. A) Set the dinner table. B) Change the light bulb. C) Clean the dining room. D) Hold the ladder for him.
3. A) He’d like a piece of pie. B) He’d like some coffee. C) He’d rather stay in the warm room. D) He’d just had dinner with his friends.
4. A) He has managed to sell a number of cars. B) He is contented with his current position. C) He might get fired. D) He has lost his job.
5. A) Tony’s secretary. B) Paul’s girlfriend. C) Paul’s colleague. D) Tony’s wife.
6. A) He was fined for running a red light. B) He was caught speeding on a fast lane. C) He had to run quickly to get the ticket. D) He made a wrong turn at the intersection.
7. A) He has learned a lot . B) He is quite experienced in taming wild dogs. C) He finds reward more effective than punishment. D) He thinks it important to master basic training skills.
8. A) At a bookstore. B) At the dentist’s. C) In a restaurant. D) In the library.
9. A) He doesn’t want Jenny to get into trouble. B) He doesn’t agree with the woman’s remark. C) He thinks Jenny’s workload too heavy at collage. D) He believes most college students are running wild.
10. A) It was applaudable. B) It was just terrible. C) The actors were enthusiastic. D) The plot was funny enough.
Section B Passage One Question 11 to 13 are based on the passage you have just heard.
11. A) Social work. B) Medical care. C) Applied physics. D) Special education.
12. A) The timely advice from her friends and relatives. B) The two-year professional training she received. C) Her determination to fulfill her dream. D) Her parents’ consistent moral support.
13. A) To get the funding for the hospitals. B) To help the disabled children there. C) To train therapists for the children there. D) To set up an institution for the handicapped.
Passage Two Questions 14 to 17 are based on the passage you have just heard.
14. A) At a country school in Mexico. B) In a mountain valley of Spain. C) At a small American college. D) In a small village in Chile.
15. A) By expanding their minds and horizons. B) By financing their elementary education. C) By setting up a small primary school. D) By setting them an inspiring example.
16. A) She wrote poetry that broke through national barriers. B) She was a talented designer of original school curriculums. C) She proved herself to be an active and capable stateswoman. D) She made outstanding contributions to children’s education.
17. A) She won the 1945 Nobel Prize in Literature. B) She was the first woman to win a Nobel Prize. C) She translated her books into many languages. D) She advised many statesmen on international affairs.
Passage Three Questions 18 to 20 are based on passage you have just heard.
18. A) How animals survive harsh conditions in the wild. B) How animals alter colors to match their surroundings. C) How animals protect themselves against predators. D) How animals learn to disguise themselves effectively.
19. A) Its enormous size. B) Its plant-like appearance. C) Its instantaneous response. D) Its offensive smell.
20. A) It helps improve their safety. B) It allows them to swim faster. C) It helps them fight their predators. D) It allows them to avoid twists and turns.