2011.12六级阅读:不动声色堵死你II

5. This is America Comeback 美式反驳

Henry Ward Beecher was an abolitionist who liked to speak his mind. When the Civil War took its start, Beecher traveled throughout the US attempting to gather up support and favor for Lincoln and his Emancipation Proclamation. He said that the Union would beat the Confederates in sixty days during his travels; and when he made a trip to England, this was used against him. At that time, war was still a very sensitive topic among the British, due to the Americans winning the Revolutionary War. While he was speaking in Manchester, one hostile man cried out: “Why didn’t you whip the Confederates in sixty days, as you said you would?” He hesitated only for a second, but then replied:
亨利·沃德·比彻是一位废奴主义者,他总是想要说出自己的观点。美国内战刚刚开始的时候,比彻在美国大陆四处奔波,希望能够聚集人们对当时总统林肯和《解放黑奴宣言》的支持和赞同情绪。他在美国的时候表示联邦军(北军)会在六十天内打败同盟军(南军)。等他到英国的时候,英国人就拿这句话来针对他。在当时的英国,因为美国人打赢了独立战争,战争是个敏感话题。当比彻在曼彻斯特发表演说的时候,有人充满敌意地发难道:“你说会在六十天内打败同盟军,怎么到现在还未能取胜?”比彻犹豫了一秒然后回答道:

“Because we found we had Americans to fight this time, not Englishmen.”
“因为我们发现这次我们的对手是美国人,而不是英国人。”

4. Churchill’s Honest Comeback 丘吉尔最诚实的反驳

Winston Churchill makes this list again. In his early career, he was at a meeting and another member was giving a long-winded speech. Churchill began to close his eyes and fall asleep. At the sight of this, the member became visibly angry and shouted: “Mr. Churchill, must you fall asleep while I’m speaking?” Instead of making attempts at an apology or a cover-up, Churchill simply replied:

温斯顿·丘吉尔再次出现在我们的榜单中。在他的早期职业生涯中,有次他出席会议,有人发表一篇冗长啰嗦的演讲。丘吉尔就闭上眼睛睡着了。演讲者看到这一幕肯定很生气,就喊道:“丘吉尔先生,你非要在我讲话的时候睡着吗?”丘吉尔没有试图道歉或掩饰一下,他只是简单地回答道:

“No, it’s purely voluntary.”
“不,这完全是无意识的。”

3. The Best Self-Effacing Comeback 最佳谦让反驳

Abraham Lincoln was not the most attractive presidents but he was in a sense, almost fascinatingly ugly. During a debate, Lincoln was accused by his more hostile opponent of being two-faced. Lincoln managed to accomplish what few men have done before, he defended himself without insulting the other man, and even poked fun at a flaw of his all in the same sentence. Lincoln calmly turned to the crowd and said:
亚伯拉罕·林肯不是美国历史上最迷人的总统,不过从某种意义上来说,他丑得很有魅力。在一次辩论中,对方发言很是咄咄逼人,他指责林肯是个两面派。林肯完成了很少有人实现的壮举,他没有侮辱对方就为自己做了辩护,还在话里对自己的缺陷开起了玩笑。他很冷静地面对人群然后说道:

“If I had two faces, do you think I’d be wearing this one?”
“如果我有两张脸,你觉得为什么我现在脸是这样?”

2.The Classic Comeback from the King of the Comebacks
反驳帝的经典反驳

Winston Churchill makes this list again cet6w.com, proving him to truly be one of the world’s wittiest people. Attending a party in London, Churchill once again was drunk and intoxicated. An obviously extremely astute woman from Parliament, like Nancy Astor (the first entry), apparently was irritated by Churchill’s mannerisms. When she finally had enough, she came up to him and yelled: “Winston, you’re drunk!” He may have been drunk but that apparently didn’t affect his cognitive functions as he merely replied:
温斯顿·丘吉尔第三次出现在我们的榜单中,证明了他真的是世界上最机智的人之一。一次在伦敦参加晚会,丘吉尔又一次喝得酩酊大醉。有一位像南茜·阿斯特一样极其聪明的国会女性,被丘吉尔的举止无状给激怒了。她走到丘吉尔面前叫道:“温斯顿,你喝多了!”丘吉尔也许是真的喝多了,但这明显不会影响他的认知功能。因为他简单回答道:

“You’re right Bessie, and you’re ugly. cet6w.com morning, I’ll be sober.”
“贝茜你说的对,还有,你长得真丑。不过明天早上我的酒就醒了。”

1.The Might-Not-Have-Happened Comeback 不该发生的反驳

This final comeback needs no explanation nor introduction. One only needs to read the interview excerpt for him/herself to understand its greatness.
最后一个最佳反驳不需要解释也不需要介绍,你只要自己读读下面的采访摘要,就会明白这个反驳有多棒:

Female Interviewer: So, cet6w.com, what things are you going to teach these young boys when they visit your base?
女采访者:斯格罗夫将军,这些年轻孩子来基地参观的时候,你准备教他们些什么呢?

cet6w.com: We’re going to teach them climbing, canoeing, archery, and shooting.
斯格罗夫将军:我们会教他们cet6w.com箭还有射击。

Female Interviewer: Shooting! That’s a bit irresponsible, isn’t it?
女采访者:射击?这会不会不太保险啊?

cet6w.com: I don’t see why, they’ll be properly supervised on the rifle range.
斯格罗夫将军:不会啊,我们会在步枪打靶场密切指导他们的。

Female Interviewer: Don’t you admit that this is a terribly dangerous activity to be teaching children?
女采访者:你不觉得教小朋友射击是很cet6w.com为吗?

cet6w.com: I don’t see how. We will be teaching them proper rifle discipline before they even touch a firearm.
斯格罗夫将军:不会啊,在让他们摸抢之前,我们会教他们进行正确的步枪训练。

Female Interviewer: But you’re equipping them to become violent killers.
女采访者:你是在将他们训练成残暴的杀手。

cet6w.com: Well, Ma’am, you’re equipped to be a prostitute, but you’re not one, are you?
斯格罗夫将军:呐,女士,别人cet6w.com你现在也不是啊。

版权所有:英语六级考试网 www.cet6w.com,转载请注明来源。